Open positions at Meedan
Design Associate (CDMX)
Meedan builds digital tools for global journalism, quality information access, and translation. We are a team of designers, technologists and journalists who focus on open source investigation of digital media, crowdsourced translation of social media, and the improvement of equitable access to information online. With commercial, media and university partners, we support research, curriculum development, the creative dissemination of complex information, and new forms of digital storytelling.
Meedan’s product suite includes Check, which brings newsrooms and citizen journalists together to verify news anywhere in the world; Montage, which focuses on video annotation; Keep, an integrated archiving tool; and Bridge, which enables collaborative teams of translators and cultural experts to translate and contextualize global social media quickly and accurately. Our recent partners have included some of the world’s most innovative digital news initiatives, like AJ+, Animal Politico, ProPublica, Bellingcat, Rappler and others.
We seek an experienced and talented design associate who can support Meedan’s design operations, with the opportunity to support branding on specific projects, with an emphasis on global health. The designer will focus on Check as our flagship product, with Bridge, Keep and Montage as support products, to help maximize their impact in the field, based on a deep understanding and contribution to Meedan’s vision for these products. Other responsibilities will include supporting graphic design, whitepaper design, and communications needs for the organization. This role reports to the senior program manager and works regularly with the design and development teams, building from an existing style guide and specification while contributing new ideas and concepts.
Product Design (50%)
- Support the design lead in developing and maintaining Meedan’s user interface guide
- Support development of user experiences for the product
- Develop recommendations and insights for product initiatives and direction
- Provide a sufficiently detailed feature specification that is reviewed by the director of product and the development team, including a creative brief, copy, user flows, transitions and error states
- Provide assistance to the development team while the feature is being built
- Produce graphic assets for the development team to include in the app
- Produce documentation on using the feature from a user’s perspective, conducting in-person and online research with users
- Participate in roadmap planning with the director of product and chief technology officer
- Participate in live user support on occasion, while developing a core set of users to serve as a feedback community
Communications Design (50%)
- Build and maintain organizational CRM and serve as first point of contact on email and ticketing systemsLead development of Digital Health Lab branding and materials, in concert with existing brand guidelines
- Research and prepare briefs for outreach
- Support the design lead in developing and maintaining Meedan’s brand guidelines
- Articulate and support organizational communications strategy through the development of communications materials, including but not limited to slide decks, web pagers, whitepapers, one pagers, stickers, t-shirts and booklets
- Develop recommendations and insights for communications initiatives and direction
- UX and graphic design experience
- Web-oriented graphic design experience (including CSS, HTML, SVG, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of version control tools (git)
- Strong communications skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience working collaboratively with a remote, globally-distributed team
- Ability to work independently, with minimal guidance
Optional, but a Plus
- Familiarity with the Material Design guidelines
- Experience with project management software and practices
- Experience with user research methods, both qualitative and quantitative
- Interest in journalism, translation and contemporary information environments
- Multilingual, with fluency in English and one other language
Meedan is a fast-paced, small, software development startup that relies heavily on the unique skills of each team member. Our team members are able to work flexibly and respond to challenges across a range of project areas. We are headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA district. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented communities in technology and journalism to apply, including women, people of color, people with disabilities and those who identify as LGBTQ.
Please send CV, portfolio (or a website equivalent) and statement of interest to email@example.com.